Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mortality higher in large chain dialysis clinics-- who knew?

Here's a link to an article that discusses the results of a study measuring mortality in dialysis patients, according to the type of center (large chain, for profit, non-profit...etc). I'm going to have to look at the details of the study, because I want to know how Davita and Satellite fared in the study-- though I can guess at the outcomes from those two. They are like night and day.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that small for-profit center kill off more patients. I speak from experience. Ok, well, I wasn't killed off-- but gee, there were some questionable practices at the private, for-profit center where I first received dialysis. Things were so bad at that center that it's a wonder I decided to continue on with dialysis (I did decide to switch centers after three months, so that I could do home dialysis).

Anyway...here's the link to the article-- http://www.renalbusiness.com/news/2010/12/mortality-higher-in-large-chain-dialysis-clinics.aspx

2 comments:

  1. you are lucky you could be on home dialysis.There are many who can not afford it and go through such centers which are poorly run.Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a human nutrition researcher, I have had the opportunity to discuss (with a fellow researcher) potential fiber treatment for lowering the stage of kidney disease. The following is an interview that I had with a PhDc on novel fiber supplementation treatment:

    http://publichealthbugle.com/2012/04/younis-salmean/

    Would love to hear input.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for taking the time to comment. I wanna know what you're thinking since you've taken the time to find out what's in my pea brain.